March 29, 2017
[Madison, WI]— Senator Baldwin’s hypocritical opposition to President Trump’s nominee for the Supreme Court vacancy, Judge Neil Gorsuch, continues. Judge Gorsuch’s hearings last week show that he is a mainstream candidate for the Supreme Court, despite Senator Baldwin and the rest of the liberal elitists in Washington distracting from his testimony. Once the hearing concluded, it is clear that not only is Judge Gorsuch qualified, he even meets what Senator Baldwin says she wants in a Supreme Court Justice.
Check out what Senator Baldwin says she wants in a Supreme Court Justice vs. what Judge Gorsuch says about the role:
- What Senator Baldwin Wants: The senator says, “The American people deserve an independent Supreme Court Justice who will protect the constitutional rights and freedoms of all Americans, not someone who will put his own political preferences above the law and legislate President Trump’s far right agenda from the bench of our nation’s highest court.”
- What Judge Gorsuch Says: “When I put on the robe, I’m also reminded that under our Constitution, it’s for this body, the peoples’ representatives, to make new laws, for the executive to ensure those laws are faithfully executed, and for neutral and independent judges to apply the law in the peoples’ disputes.”
- What Senator Baldwin Wants: The senator criticized President Trump for not nominating a “mainstream nominee for the vacant Supreme Court seat.”
- What Judge Gorsuch Says: “We tolerate — we cherish different points of view. And we seek consensus whenever we can. My law clerks tell me that 97 percent of those 2,700 cases I’ve decided were decided unanimously and that I have been in the majority 99 percent of the time. That’s my record…”
- What Senator Baldwin Wants: The senator has said multiple times that we “need a full and functioning Supreme Court.”, and that a vacancy “threatens the integrity of our democracy.” Still, she has moved to block Judge Gorsuch’s nomination despite her past remarks.
- What Judge Gorsuch Says: “But troublesome as a robe can be, the robe does mean something to me, and not just that I can hide the coffee stains on my shirt.. Putting on a robe reminds us judges that it’s time to lose our egos and open our minds. It serves, too, as a reminder of the modest station we judges are meant to occupy in a democracy.”
Senator Baldwin’s opposition to Judge Gorsuch is as confusing as it is hypocritical. Judge Gorsuch is a mainstream choice for Supreme Court Justice, who will uphold the constitution. The only thing outside of the mainstream is Senator Tammy Baldwin, who continues to put the defense of the Washington status quo ahead of real reforms for hard-working Wisconsin families.