February 8, 2017
[Madison, WI]— Governor Walker’s reforms are driving the Wisconsin comeback and moving the Badger State in the right direction. At his budget address this afternoon, Governor Walker will fight for a future that helps keep Wisconsin working and winning.
“Thanks to Governor Walker’s bold reforms, Wisconsin is working for taxpayers, students, and their families,” said Alec Zimmerman, spokesman for the Republican Party of Wisconsin. “As the governor delivers his vision for the future, it will be even more clear how his fight for student success, government accountability, and low taxes all help to move our state forward. Wisconsin is working and winning under Governor Walker’s leadership.”
Walker Supports Student Success
- Governor Walker is fighting for an increase of $649 million more into K-12 schools, sending more money directly to the classroom.
- Rural schools will see a boost under Governor Walker, receiving $20 million more in sparsity aid and an increase technology and infrastructure grant funding by more than $22 million.
- Students across the UW System see a tuition cut of 5%. Additionally, the UW System will see an increase in state funding of $135 million.
Wisconsin’s Economy is Moving Forward
- Wisconsin’s Unemployment Rate is 4%, the lowest it’s been since 2001.
- Wisconsin also boasts a strong labor force participation rate.
- There are more people working than at any other point in Wisconsin history.
- Since Governor Walker took office, over 52,000 new business entities have been created.
Walker Will Continue to Protect Taxpayers
- Governor Walker and Republicans in the state legislature have cut taxes by nearly $5 billion, giving hard-working families real relief, and plan to build on it by cutting taxes even more.
- Walker’s signature legislation, Act 10, has saved Wisconsin taxpayers over $5 billion.
- Walker balanced Wisconsin’s budget without raising taxes.
(“K-12 Education at an All-Time High, Gets $649 Million Boost Under Governor Walker’s Proposed Budget,” Walker Press Office, 2/6/2017)
 (Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December”, The Associated Press, 1/19/2017)
 (“Wisconsin is Working,” Governor Walker’s Weekly Radio Address, 1/7/2016)
 (“Working for Wisconsin: Governor Scott Walker Announces More Than 52,000 New Business Entities Created Since Taking Office,” Walker Press Office, 3/23/16)
 (“Estimate Shows Nearly $5 Billion in Tax Relief for Wisconsinites Over Past Six Year”, MacIver Institute, 9/30/16)
 (“Act 10 Saves Wisconsin Taxpayers More Than $5 Billion Over 5 Years, MacIver Analysis Finds”, MacIver Institute, 2/11/16)